Sprinkler Obstruction Investigations

Microbiologically influenced corrosion is a major cause of sprinkler system obstructions. How can it be detected and controlled?

by Brian Sauer, USAutomatic Fire and Protection

Fireline Newsletter
Volume 2, Number 2, February 2010

For sprinkler systems to be effective for fire control and extinguishment, internal piping and sprinkler heads must be free from obstructions, such as scale,silt and other foreign organic and/or inorganic material.
NFPA research shows that sprinklers were effective 96% of the time when they operated. In the other 4% of the cases, ineffectiveness was related to water not reaching the fire 42% of the time and lack of maintenance 3% of the time. Although the author has not found any NFPA statistics that directly track the effectiveness of sprinklers because of obstructions, it has been recognized as a potential problem that is now addressed in NFPA 25, Standard for the Inspection, Testing and Maintenance of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems.
Click here to review the full article in PDF format (9.46 MB).


Turning a Challenge Into Results

Contractor Training Center Educates Employees, Customers and Community

by Janet R. Knowles, Publisher

SprinklerAge Magazine
Volume 21, Number 12, December 2002

A challenge from Fire Chief Dan Jones at the 1997 AFSA Convention in Albuquerque, N.M., spurred Bruce Agan, president of USAutomatic Sprinkler Corporation, Carmel, Indiana, to step up to a higher level of commitment to industry and public education. Chief Jones of Chapel Hill, N.C., who addressed AFSA members at the convention’s opening session, insisted that the fire sprinkler industry must devote more resources to educate the public and the fire service about automatic fire sprinklers.
Click here to review the full article in PDF format (64 KB).